Sunday, October 9, 2016

Project 2 Soucy

Swatches/Color Wheel:


Geometric and Organic Shapes:

Sketches of Unity, Tension, and Scale:

Diptych



Reflection:
When realized we would be using paint for this project, I expected a much more unorganized outcome.  I’ve never been much of a painter, but this project was an interesting opportunity to explore an unfamiliar medium.  As far as the diptych is concerned, I wanted to continue with the theme nature.  I’m glad the project criteria let me stay on a similar track.  I decided to use fish teeth for my organic painting because I wanted to explore the blue/green spectrum of our paints.  I wanted to make the shark tooth almost blend into the water, much like the way an organism is specifically adapted for such an environment and predatory lifestyle.  In contrast, I made the Pacu Pacu teeth stand out, like a creature not exactly designed for camouflage/hunting.  For the geometric painting, I wanted to create a feeling of tension by the continuous use of (Vaguely) tooth-like shapes.  I’m not as happy with the second painting.  I feel like I could have added a bit more in general.  The color wheel, gradients, and swatches were an interesting addition to the project.  I found taking the measurements and whatnot to be rather tedious, but it was nice to develop such a wide spectrum of colors from a relatively small set of paints.  I received some helpful advice from the critique, although I feel like the critique in general could have been executed a bit more…smoothly.  I imagine we could benefit by revisiting the method we used for the first project critique.  

And here is a picture of a living Pacu Pacu (and all it's freakishly humanoid teeth)

No comments:

Post a Comment