Friday, September 23, 2016

Project 1



Source Material



































Tracings:






Finished Product 
















Reflection:

       I started looking for inspiration in UGL. Upstairs, there are varies technical texts. I tried to look through those to find illustration to trace. I found a couple things to trace straight from the books, but was mostly uninspired with that route. I then turned to the image archive, which is where I found most of my source material for this project. My original idea was to find images that were already sort of abstract. The thought process was that if I picked source material that already had abstract elements it would be easier to create an abstract composition. I think this proved true; my compositions that incorporated tracing of already abstract images went over better in the critique. They also fit better within the theme of the assignment.
                 I defiantly found this project challenging. It was hard for me to create interesting compositions that were also abstract. This assignment actually made me feel stupid. A lot of my compositions weren’t really that abstract. I could have abstracted them way more than I did. While I was drawing, I would look at my compositions and ask myself “that’s abstract, right?” and they weren’t. My background in photography defiantly didn’t help me with seeing the abstract. Photography, more often than not, is representing a more objective subject matter, so my brain is sort of hardwired to view the world in that framework.
            I would defiantly change a lot of what I did and how approached the project knowing what I know now.






No comments:

Post a Comment