Sunday, September 25, 2016

Project 1 - Jessie Kim

Source Material


 

Process
     Tracings



     Sketchbook Compositions





Results



 (panels 1-3)

 (panels 4-6)

 (panels 7-9)

 (panels 10-12)


Reflection

My inspiration for subject and use of source material for this project was nature, as all of my source materials were National Geographic magazines. Keeping in mind the prospective end result of this project, I carefully chose which images and what part of those images I wanted to trace. I found that using the magazines were troublesome at times; when the color of the image and the background were too similar, it was difficult to trace because the outline of the image or the distinction between the picture and its background were obscured. Nevertheless, I was still able to find enough useful images to produce abstract drawings using the elements and principles of repetition, line, pattern, contrast, balance, rhythm, and emphasis. I simply traced the images from the magazine and then transferred them to my sketchbook and simultaneously creating the drawings I have planned to use for my final composition. I found that it was fairly effortless to incorporate more than one of the principles into one composition panel. Personally, it was easy for me to think ahead with what I plan to use my tracings for so it was clear to me as to how I wanted to create my final compositions. However, it was a little challenging learning how to use the grids to scale up my images because I have never had to do that before, but after I completed a couple of the scaled up 8 x 8 sketches, it was easier to get used to. Honestly, I just tried to figure out what would look good with what and I’ve gotten accustomed to this way of thinking and production by creating original works on my own time. The critique feedback I received consisted mostly of clean lines, good examples of repetition, line, and contrast. It was also cool to see everyone’s final product and to share and discover different methods and styles. Overall, I believe this project was a good start and introduction to this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment