Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Project 1



Some of the reference photos


 




Tracings from the reference photos





4''x4'' sketches in my sketch book transferred with carbon paper





8''x8'' final pieces assembled in an accordion book










Reflection

           My inspiration for the subject of this project was old technology. I love the visual appeal of objects such as old cameras, typewriters, phones, record players, and cars. Overall, I wanted to create a series of pieces that somewhat reflect the linear and circular shapes that are found throughout my reference material. Throughout my process, I wanted to incorporate creating a type of visual balance and unity by using a combination of organic shapes and straight lines. My natural instinct was to group most of my pieces on one side of the page and keep the other rather plain and simple. This worked effectively and made my pieces flow together when viewed as a whole. I also placed the pieces that held the most similarities next to one another beginning with the more organic pieces and gradually transitioning into the more linear pieces. In essence, the final assembly of all my pieces came together how I had envisioned and greatly projected my concept: the gradual evolution of the aesthetics of technology.

           This project was definitely a challenge for me. I have been extremely used to drawing or painting realistically and have had little experience with abstraction. Throughout this project, I moved out of my comfort zone and experimented, which allowed me to discover new techniques and styles. Through my experimentation, I had failed a few times and had gotten extremely frustrated. However, my failures had only led to making my final compositions stronger.

          In regards to the critique,  I found that many people had provided me with positive feedback on what I did well on. However, I was looking for specific critique on what I could improve on. I feel that presenting my project to the class and receiving feedback from the class as a whole would have been more effective. This way, the class could bounce ideas off of one another and provide me with critique that would allow me to improve my pieces. Overall, this project was a great success and I am extremely happy with the outcome.

            












No comments:

Post a Comment