Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Final Project

                                                            Smoke Shadow Box


 For this Project, i decided to combine ideas from project 1 and project 6. I decided to use my bad habit of occasional smoking to create art . I enjoyed making the layered collage in class and thought i can make a layered smoke shadow box. I first took pictures of the shapes of smoke and fumes that came out of every cigarette i smoked . After a while of trying to capture the perfect images, I  then printed and traced these images ( just as we did in project 1).



After i traced All the images on tracing paper i used carbon paper to transfer them onto Strathmore 400 Drawing paper. I made 5 Different layers made of The drawing paper and Wax paper. I then cut out around the traced shapes with my Xacto knife. Using foam board I layered the pages of cutout paper , spacing them with thin foam board strips.

After completing the Layered images ,I measured the sizes and  made a foam board Box to be able to place the images in , and trap the light in the back. I cutout a hole in the back of the box to place a source of light which would help illuminate the shapes and reflect on the layers of paper  I used a night light that can be plugged into the wall,The shadow box hangs to it perfectly!


Shadow Box without light:





 Shadow Box With Light


  Reflection:
 I was satisfied with the way the project came out. I could actually see how the light changed the whole project. Without having to put in a lot of effort i allowed The shadows to produce beautiful shapes that made my actual art design .I loved this project because it wasn't instructed. At first i didn't like the idea of doing whatever we wish for our final but after making this smoke shadow box i understood the power of working without any limitation and creativity. This project gave me ideas for further projects and got me excited for experimenting with different forms of light.






No comments:

Post a Comment