Monday, December 19, 2016

Final Project and Exercises - Julian Chastang



Reflection: I had a hard time trying to figure out something intresting to do, but i did know that i wanted to do something using materials that i haven't really used. Since i still had a set of colored pencils that were a birthay present i never bothered using, i pretty much went with that since i haven't really used colored pencils since the 6th grade. Mostly at home i've been practicing some figure drawing and trying to get a better understanding of human anatomy so my drawings can be more realistic looking. I haven't been sketching as much as i want to, so progress has been really slow lately and i haven't seen much improvement. I also haven't felt as creative as i was last year, because of this whole year feeling very chaotic and strange. I tried not to use much reference material for the figure sketch and go from what i know already, but i only used a wooden doll for the pose.

The rest i tried to pull fro my mind. The clothing was inspired from some different leotards and other clothes worn by dancers i've seen before. I don't think this turned out too well, but i know it will be a while until i see improvements. Like i mentioned in class, some of the artists that inspire me are people like Shirow Masamune, Jack Kirby, Katsuhiro Otomo, and Jim Lee. Some other artists i like include Yoji Shinkawa, Frank Miller, Jamie Hewlett, Leonardo Fernandez, Todd McFarlane, John Romita Sr. and John Romita Jr., Steve Ditko,  George Hull, Geoff Darrow, Leonardo DaVinci, and Kazuto Nakazawa. I try not to pull anything from their works, but maybe if i did i may learn a bit more?

The second drawing was a quick sketch of part of my room. Using some of the one point perspective techniques i learned, i drew this from just my memory. I tried to see if i could convey some ideas of what made me think of home, but i feel like this was not sucessful either, Although i feel like i could have added more detail to it, that will be another thing for me to practice. For these drawings, i used 2mm drafting pencils, Sakura pigma micron pens, Prismacolor colored pencils, and 11x14 bristol board. Also if you want to know what books i've been learning from, they are Figure Drawing: Design and Invention by Michael Hampton, Dynamic Anatomy by Burne Hogarth, and Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain by Betty Edwards








Exercises:




No comments:

Post a Comment